Please review this general reference guide for minimum specimen requirements necessary for testing.
Test-specific requirements may differ, please refer to the Test Menu for detailed specimen requirements for individual tests. Test link
- Label all tubes with a minimum of 2 unique patient identifiers; slides require 1 patient identifier (i.e. name, DOB, specimen ID #, medical record #)
- Close all tubes and canisters tightly
- Enclose completed paperwork
Specimens can be delayed and/or rejected for the following reasons:
- Specimen is not labeled with required patient identifiers.
- There is a mismatch between the numbers on the requisition and on the specimen sent (i.e. blocks, slides, tubes).
- Specimen is received without a requisition.
- Tissue block is not processed correctly and reprocessing is required.
Unsure where to send a specimen? Please call our Client Services Department: (800) 447-5816.
- In hot weather, enclose a refrigerated (not frozen) gel pack in shipper kit.
- In cold weather, run hot water over gel pack for 3-5 minutes and enclose in shipper kit.
Ship specimens in a timely manner based upon the test-specific requirements.